Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Time for some comfort food




While the kids and I were up at 6 am today, we were not dressed until 11. We were quite content to lay around, sloppy and filled with pancakes and cartoons. I curled up on the couch with the babe in my elbow and my three year old brushing my hair with a child's plastic comb. We raced cars across the floor in the kitchen for an hour, while the baby ran back and forth trying to dodge the flying Ferrari's, Fords and occasional Honda. We sat close and whispered secrets to each other. Secrets about who our friends are, what our favorite colors are, and wonder of wonder, that we each have FIVE fingers on our hands. Who knew?

It's days like today that make me want to curl up with a big bowl of homemade mac 'n cheese, bubbly and sprinkled with toasted breadcrumbs on top. After getting my diagnosis I was so worried I would miss many of my old comfort foods, but I'm finding they are just as good as I remembered them, gluten free.

Today I was happy to have leftovers from dinner last night in the fridge. It was a perfect comfort food, winter food, warming food. Full of all the cheesy goodness, with none of the gluten. Admittedly, not the healthiest food in the book, but we all had a nice helping of peas and salad and figured they cancelled each other out.

Cheesy Ham Casserole

After eating a few bites of this my oldest son declared this "way better" than my old mac 'n cheese recipe. I had to agree.

1/2 cup onion
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp gf flour blend (I use the brown rice flour mix I've referenced here many times)
1 cup milk
1 tsp Herbamare (or salt)
1/4 tsp pepper
few dashes of Tabasco
6 oz. grated cheddar cheese (I used 1/2 smoked Gouda, 1/2 cheddar. Perfect balance with the ham)
1 cup sour cream (I have found low fat Organic Valley to be gluten free)
1 cup chopped ham (also have used chicken breast with good success)
1/4 cup gf breadcrumbs (or smashed gf crackers)
2 cups cooked rice

Spread rice in bottom of 9 x 11 baking dish, set aside. In saucepan saute onion and garlic in 2 Tbsp butter over med heat until just started to brown. Add gf flour and stir for 30 seconds or so. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and add salt, seasonings, cheese, ham, and sour cream. Pour over rice. Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter and add breadcrumbs. Scatter over top and bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment